Monday, December 10, 2018

A Little (Too) Familiar

Young Witch Discussion #1 - Familiar or Pet?

"A familiar is a magic-user's spiritual helper manifest in animal form." (Witchipedia)

Whilst doing research for this first discussion blog entry I came across a factoid that says familiars can return time and time again in different forms as different pets, and actually this is so so true. When I was a child and beginning my spiritual journey I had a cat called Alice. She came to my parents just before I was born and lived until I was 11. She was a beautiful creature with a glossy grey coat and big eyes, and when she died I was devastated. 

Until 2 years later when another cat came into our lives. He was a rescue, and at the time was 2 years old. Coincidence? He is the most beautiful creature I have ever known, inside and out, so placid and generous. He is known as Oscar but his familiar name is Jynx. 

It's said that familiars will present themselves to you, and here he was. 

Since then, he has shown many signs of being a familiar. When I've been performing rites and casting spells he'll sit on the edge of the circle but will never enter until the fire has been extinguished and the rite ended. he senses when I'm upset and in need of some love, and he's always there when I need him. 

I'm interested to know your thoughts on familiars? Do you have one? Do you think they're a reincarnated familiar from before? Do you think they have any place in a Pagan life? 

Share some photos even? 

Blessed be, 
Young Witch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colour Me Some Colour-Representation

Young Witch Discussion #8 - Colour Symbolism in Magick As previously mentioned in a post, colour symbolism in Magick is quite important. T...