Young Witch Discussion #2 - Spirit Animals
Spirit animals (also known as totems) first appeared with First Nation beliefs, i.e. Native Americans, Canadians and Aboriginals all had 'spirit animals'. Like many elements of these beliefs, spirit animals have been adopted by Pagans the world over as a way of understanding or guiding the magick we practice. The concept was displayed in Philip Pullmans 'Dark Materials' in the form of daemons, and such as daemons I have come to believe that spirit animals can change. For instance, my Dad's totem has changed in my lifetime.
I was taught that my spirit animal, like familiars, would appear to me and appear it did. For those who are interested, my spirit animal is a raven, and Thatch, as he calls himself, appeared to me in a dream when I was 15 years old. He flew into my window one morning and, when I told my mum, was adamant it had been real.
Ravens in-particular get a bad rap for being dwellers around churchyards and therefore bringers of death, but they also come to represent intelligence, ambition and foresight. The Norse God Odin had two ravens named Huginn and Muninn, who are the bringers of news and wisdom. And, actually, I often find that when I see ravens in real life they are in twos. If I'm struggling at that point I am always grateful that they should present themselves to me.
As a clairvoyant I can often inform people of their spirit animal by looking at them, which more than often is confirmed. Some get offended if I tell them an animal they think is associated with negative tropes (such as a mouse), but with a little bit of research it can be seen that these animals who lend their traits to us are often misunderstood. Spirit Animals can take many forms, but here is a summary of the spirit animals of my family and friends, and what they are taken to represent:
Barn Owl - Wise, mature, understanding, family.
Doe - Quiet, observant.
Dragon - Secluded, introverted, quick to anger.
Horse - Matriarchal, caring, solitary, a doer.
Hummingbird - Quick to change, fleeting, flamboyant.
Stag - A leader, reserved.
Hedgehog - Follower, keeps to themselves but also like to be friendly.
I recommend a website called Whats-your-sign.com for great information on what animals can mean.
I'm interested in knowing about your spirit animals, if you have them. How did they appear to you? How did you know the reason for the message?
Blessed be,
Young Witch

No comments:
Post a Comment