Young Witch Discussion #6 - Handfasting and Marriage
(NB: Witch is the term for both male and female practitioners)
Okay, so this discussion point is mainly for me to gain your ideas and experiences as I've never actually been to a handfasting myself, so at this point I'm all theory, but as today is my parents wedding anniversary I thought I'd blog about it.
My understanding is as follows:
Handfastings are not a legal form of marriage in the UK, but are ceremonies performed by a High Priest or Priestess. Two people promise to pledge their lives to each other, as in a Christian wedding. Handfastings are usually performed outside. Their hands are tied together with a knot, which is where the expression 'tying the knot' comes from. That's as far as I know. At some versions there is a ceremonial jumping over a broomstick which I suppose is to symbolise jumping from single life to married?
My Mum told me that a handfasting, as it's not a legal ceremony, can be performed in three ways: you can pledge yourselves to each other for a year, for life or for eternity. What are your thoughts on this? I like the idea of eternity, but then I believe in true love.
So here is what I would like to do for my handfasting:
I would like three bridesmaids who are representative of the three stages of the Goddess: Maiden, Mother and Crone.
I would like to be bare foot so I can be one with the Earth.
I would like to get handfasted in the woods.
I would like nobody to wear white, not even me. Pastel colours will be the theme.
What are your thoughts? Let me know.
Blessed be,
Young Witch
No comments:
Post a Comment